Date of Award
Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering (MSPE)
Chemical and Petroleum Engineering
Dr. Nayef Ghaem
Dr. Yaser E. Greish
Prof. Abdulrazag Y. Zekri
Production of safe drinking water by using micro-filtration and ultra-filtration technologies has become more interesting. Water purification or filtration by using membrane began attracting much attention worldwide, because of its good characteristics such as: high efficiency in removing solid particles, viruses and germs and their low cost. This new technology is useful in industrial water treatment. The current studies in this field of polymer membrane manufacturing try to improve the characteristics, water flow rater and remove unwanted particles from water.
The recent project’s aim is to manufacture cellulose acetate hollow fibers. They were prepared by the Non Solvent Induced Phase Separation (NIPS) method at different spinning conditions and discussed the effects of rheology of cellulose acetate at different concentrations and temperatures. Thesis research has been assessed to study several variables during manufacture of hollow membranes, to attempt, clarify and clearly discuss the variables and factors that will have an effect on the efficiency of hollow fiber membranes. Thesis project was divided into several sections as follows:
- Study the rheology of cellulose acetate at different concentrations and temperatures. Hershed-Balkley (H-B) model were used to test polymer solution behaviors.
- Determine how much the cellulose acetate concentration in solvent and polymer solution flow rate during will have an effect on the characterizations of hollow fiber membrane.
- Examine the effects of changing bore fluid flow rate on the properties of hollow fiber. Water was as inner coagulation at different flow rates: 8, 10, 12, 13, and 16 g/min.
- Change the distance between the spinneret and external coagulation (water) at different distances (5.5, 7, 9 and 10 cm) in order to study the structure and performance of hollow fiber
- Check if the internal coagulation type and composition will either affect the characterizations of hollow fiber and solids rejection or not. Study the effect of ethanol at different concentrations in internal coagulation (Ethanol/Water), while ethanol concentrations in water are 18, 25, 35 and 50%.
Hamad Al-Nuaimi, Latifa Obeid, "Fabrication of polymeric hollow fiber membrane for the production of safe drinking water" (2010). Theses. 309.